Monday 31 August 2009

Hello.

* Hello chaps, there's quite a few images in this update, and a video, so just give it a few minutes to load if you've got a slow connection


I'm back in Gaborone, after quite an eventful few weeks.

Since my last proper post in Zambia, mum and dad flew out to meet me. For some reason they couldn't take their rental vehicle into Zambia so I had to pick them up at the border. After spending a few days around the Livingstone area (and Victoria Falls), then headed into Namibia, staying at Katima Mulilo (the hotel was ...ok, but the food was appalling - that is the only time I've ever had a meal where the chips were tougher than the meat!) and Rundu (right on the Kovango River, which which operates as the border between Namibia and Angola. Dad and I were extremely tempted to nick a canoe and paddle over just to get another country on our lists. We didn't of course as that would be cheating...)

Then, after staying in the middle of nowhere (I can't remember specifically where), we spent 2 days in Etosha National Park (which I've been told is the largest National Park in the world...). Unfortunately we only saw the Eastern side of the park as we had little time on our hands. Then we headed for the coast, to Swakopmund!

Swakopmund was amazing! The road there was through the desert, and it became really difficult to concentrate on the road as you spent most of the time gobsmacked at the view. We were booked into a place called Brigadoon, and we expected just a normal hotel room. When we got there, it turned out to be a full apartment! 3 bedrooms, sofas, a DSTV box (Sky), and a kitchen!! And only 80 quid a night!! Not only that but it was right on the sea. Dad and I dumped our bags and took the 60 second walk to a brilliant sunset...





The next day (after waking up in a sandstorm) we took a drive down to Walvis Bay, the nearest town. Unfortunately we didn't get that far, as we encountered this:




Simply one of the best sights I've ever seen. Absolutely spectacular. That thing goes on for miles and miles and miles...

After this we headed to Windhoek, the capital of Namibia. Unfortunately Mum and Dad had to go back to Botswana to say goodbye to family, so we parted ways for a few days and I headed down to Keetmanshoop. The next day I had a bit of trouble getting over the border into South Africa. It turned out that despite asking for 30 days on my visa (which I always do, as a minimum in case anything goes wrong), the woman at Ngoma (Northern Namibian border post) had only given me 8. And This was the 9th day.

The immigrations fella (which playing on his phone) was telling me they had to "lock me up". Somehow, after an hour and a half of trying to talk my way out of this, with him pissing about on his phone, smiling arrogantly to his mate who was reading a womens magazine, he decided to let me go. Don't ask me why, perhaps he was just trying to show some authority or whatever, but I was free to go...

So then I stayed the night at the nearest town, Upington, whcih thankfully had a cinema. I paid 11 Rand (84p!!!!) to see Drag Me To Hell, a brilliant return to the Horror genre for Sam Raimi! The next day I headed to Rustenburg to meet up with ma and pa. After a 9 hour drive in which I could draw no money out with which to fill up my car, I rolled into Rustenburg at 8pm desperately trying to find a petrol station where I could spend my remaining 25 rand o fuel (about 2 quid).

After meeting up with the parents and having a horrible meal at the "hotel", dad and I went out to get some cash and to cut a very, very long story short, we had our credit cards cloned.

I've explained this a few times so I can't be bothered to repeat it now. Maybe another day...


So after the cloning, we immediately canceled the cards (luckily I have a spare one). The next day, we went into Pilanesburg National Park in South Africa. We didn't see much, except for a couple of White Rhino (very rare) and a Caracal (even rarer.)



The following day Mum and Dad were flying home in the evening, but in the morning, Richard was flying in. I picked him up from Jo'burg, then we met up with the parents for lunch at Magaliesberg, and later went back into Botswana. After a few days in Gabs, we went up north to Gweta, where Colin died :(.

Three weeks later I'm still waiting to find out if he can be fixed, so we'll see what happens. I don't want to relive that story....

It took 3 days to get Colin from Gweta, to Maun, only 200km away to get it looked at by a mechanic, and to find out that it had to be shipped to Gaborone, which would take more than a week.

So we rented a car from Budget. They originally wouldn't let us rent, because we only had debit cards, not credit cards. The solution from the Budget woman was to have someone (my old man) book it only with their credit card and the vehicle could be ours for the 3 weeks we needed. Unluckily, at that point, Dad was in the middle of a field in Cambridge putting up a tent. Fortunately, Dad takes his laptop everywhere. We got the rental online (at 4,000 pula less than the quote she gave us in person!) and the day after headed to Kasane.

We camped for one night at the Chobe Safari Lodge (about a fiver each), the next morning taking in a 3hr game drive in Chobe National Park. We saw some male lion and some vultures around a dead elephant, but that was about it. We moved to Mowana Lodge later for a bit of luxury, and had a sunset booze cruise in the evening. We saw a lot more there, including a hippo that came up literally a foot away from the boat!

The car company wouldn't let us take the vehicle into Zambia, Malawi or Mozambique (our planned route) so we had to go and do Namibia again (which was no problem for me - as long as I didn't do the same stuff as before..). We got a transfer into Zambia and camped at Fawlty Towers, a backpackers in Livingstone. Sadly there was no Spanish waiters but there was free wi-fi and pancakes!

We spent a day or so in the Zambia side where we got a brilliant view of the sunset just over the falls. There's a point in the Zambia side that leads you right down to the water, although it is very wet and rocky in parts. At one point, I slipped and hurt my foot which brought a big bruise and a cut. This worried me that I wouldn't get to do my bungee jump the next day, luckily this time, NOTHING was able to stop me!



On the same day we headed over to the Zimbabwe side. All in all, the whole day cost us more than US$200 - $105 for the bungee jump, $55 for a Zimbabwean visa, $50 to get back into Zambia.

It was bloody worth it though. Every single penny. I've wanted to do that bungi jump half my life - and I'd do it again in an instant.


The second trip into Namibia with Richard this time was very good. We camped on the banks of the Zambezi in Katima Mulilo, with Zambia on the other side. We were told by the campsite security to lock our belongings in the car, as the Zambians occasionally came over the river to sell you stuff and would subtly nick your belongings.

From Katima, we drove the 700km or more to Grootfontein, and stayed in a mud hut.

We visited the Hoba meteorite, which is supposed to be the biggest meteorite on the planet:



Apparantly it fell to earth 80,000 years ago, though no-one is sure exactly when.

That night we were heading for somewhere to camp before going into Etosha. On the way there a fella jumped out into the road trying to stop me. Foolishly I ignored it, and carried on. A little while later, a policeman caught up to me, took my drivers license and asked me to follow me back to his camera to prove I was speeding. On the way there he himself exceeded the 120km/h limit, which annoyed me quite a bit as you can imagine. When we got to the camera, the other copper had accidentally wiped it, so he had no evidence of my speeding. Regardless, he charged me N$200 for speeding and very nearly more for evading Police capture. When I realised this was only 15 quid I decided not to call him a corrupt bastard and took the 'punishment'.

On the way to the police station we drove into some sort of swarm of flies. You literally couldn't see a thing, as the second the wipers cleaned the screen another billion flies threw themselves into it. Let's just say I've never cleaned a windscreen with shampoo and a beer mat before...

With 2 days in Etosha we saw quite a lot, but the highlight was walking out onto the Etosha Pan:



After leaving the park at sunset, we headed to Swakopmund at night, eventually getting there at 3am. With nowhere to sleep we slept in the car near the dunes. This was the sight of the town at night from the car:




We spent a day quad biking in the sand dunes:



Shortly after he took that video, Richard crashed into the back of me, sending him spinning underneath his quad bike. Very spectacular, although the onlything he broke was his sunglasses.

We left Swakopmund and spent the night at Windhoek again, then went back into Botswana, spending a night at Ghanzi (Camping less that 3 Pounds a night per person!!).

The reason we were heading back into Botswana again was that we were going into Khutse Game Reserve with Ciaron, Sonnette and friends. Khutse is one of the highlights of the trip so far for me. You're camping in the bush essentially, where the campsites are not fenced in and the animals roam freely. We heard lion on the first night, and found their footprints around the campsite the next morning.

Here's the Lion we found:


And the Tropic Of Capricorn, which runs through the park:


Sunset in Khutse:


As you are leaving:

Go Siame is my favourite phrase is Tswana. It literally means "Everything is Ok". Tsamaya Sentle means "On your travels, go safely"


Khutse was so great because you felt absolute freedom to go wherever you wanted (providing you stick to the rules.... ahem..). For me it really is one of Botswana's best kept secrets - You never see any tour groups or safari vehicles in there, mainly because the roads aren't brilliantly accessible. Trust me, Khutse is a very special place!



Richard's flight was on the monday evening, and I had to return the rental vehicle to Maun on the wednesday morning. I did get an extension of 24 hours, luckily, so I could take it relatively easily. I took the scenic route, up through Molepolole, Serowe, Oropa, Rkaops and then onto Maun. I have to say beforehand that watching the sun go down on the pans as you're driving past Rakops was an incredible sight. No trees, no houses, nothing, just a clear pan as far as you can see, and what a beautiful sunset.

Shortly after the sunset, however, I encountered a bunch of donkeys in the middle of the road (I am told that this is Botswana's biggest problem - animals here such as donkeys, cows and goats are unfenced, so at night they gather on the tarmac for some reason). I swerved to miss them, slamming my brakes on and turning to the left. I definitely clipped one of them, as I remember the clunk sound followed by the yelp of a donkey, and in trying to control the car I swerved to the right, going back over the road onto the other side. The wheels hit something, possibly a bump or a slight curb from the bus stop where I came off, and turned over onto the roof of the car, sliding for a few metres and hitting something else, eventually rolling back onto the wheels. To give you an impression of how bad it was (cos it was pretty fucking bad for me), see below:


The only thing going through my head at this point was 'bugger.'

Unfortunately I was 55km from Rakops, and had to wait for 2 hours for Police to arrive. There was a cattle post nearby - the people there had heard my accident and managed to get signal, then helped me to gather my things. I was bleeding from the head with my injuries, quite concussed and confused, bruised in the places the seatbelt had been - though this didn't stop them stealing my phone and sunglasses.

It doesn't matter though - I am seriously lucky to be alive after that. The policeman said that if I were a Motswana, chance would be that I wouldn't have been wearing a seatbelt and we'd be talking about a fatality. The thing I was most worried about on the way to the hospital was crashing again - I could see through the window in the police van that he was driving at 150km/h - DID YOU NOT SEE WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO ME?!?! I was only going at 110km/h when I crashed, and in this van not only was there no seatbelts for me to wear but all the stuff collected from the scene of the accident - my very heavy rucksack for one thing, and a spare tyre - were untethered, and rolling around the back of the van.

I spent the night in hospital in Rakops - a very basic arrangement, trust me, we've got it good with the NHS, managed to get picked up by the Car Rental company and taken to Maun. Annoyingly the one person she sends to pick me up is the one employee she has who claims he has such a bad back that he could be paralysed permanently if he picks up anything heavy. So, limping, bruised and generally not very well, I had to lug my own stuff around. Nice, innit?

I managed to get a flight from Maun to Gaborone for under 50 quid!! So now I am here, trying to get the insurance pickle sorted out with Budget or they will try to sue me. My injuries seam to be healing - I'm having trouble breathing on account of the bruised ribs where the seatbelt was.


Here are some more pics of the last few weeks of my trip:





P.S I forgot to mention that aside from the bruising my biggest injury is a broken toenail. I found this very funny in hospital on Wednesday night. (The doctor thought I was mad)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, glad you're in one piece (discounting the toenail) Sounds like you've had an amazing time despite the setbacks... Thanks for keeping Ricardo safe(ish) and well while he was with you. Love to the monkey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, I am really sorry about your unfortunate moments over in Africa- Richard sent me a text and a facebook message to tell me you were ok- firstly I replied 'thanks for letting me know' not realising he was trying to inform me about your car crash... by the time he sent me the second message it dawned on me that 'Ian is ok' could actually mean that 'Ian was not ok for a while'... hence me not contacting you! So sorry, I generally assume that no news is a good thing. I'm sure it goes without saying that once I found out why Richard was telling me all was well with you, I was extremely concerned/relieved to hear you were not killed or severely injured (as was Dave- he keeps craving Ian film nights you know!). Anyway, your positive experiences, such as your jump, your fabulous times with Richard and your parents, and your rare sights of wildlife and scenery are just a pleasure to read about. Thank goodness you have those things to balance out the negative experiences you have encountered! I must say, you write about your time out there in such a captivating and genuine style, it would make a wonderful documentary or something. I'll end by saying we both look forward to seeing you soon, and are constantly 'praying' that the remaining weeks/months of travels treat you safely. Best wishes and lots of love, Alex and Dave x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you have had a rough time of late but thank god you are safe and that someone actually found you even though they nicked your phone - that is a small price to pay,and at least you have a spare. I can't even think about how long it would have taken for an ambulance to get to you knowing how remote the area is if it took the police 2 hours!! Anyway enough about that, you are thankfully safe and not badly hurt. Your dad and I had a fantastic time with you, and the stories and pictures with Richard are wonderful. With all your experiences, stories and pictures you should write a book. the worst thing I have been worrying about has happened and you are safe thank goodness
    (apart from being eaten by a lion and your bungee jump) (you have done the bungee jump)) Keep safe and enjoy your experiences speak to you soon. Love you, mum dad vick x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ian,
    Many thanks for the post card and being thoughtful about me not being able to read it!(Yes - I did read it with my magnifying glass!) Sorry for the rotten luck you seem to have been having...I hope everything is ok again now and I hope you're fully healed.
    Looking forward to seeing you, take good care of yourself and enjoy your last month in Africa.
    Lots of love from Grandma
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete